Thursday, April 5, 2012

Tortorella Tirade: Rangers join Flyers in propaganda war against Pens

By Artistry

The Penguins cruised to a 5-2 win against a motivation-free Rangers team on Thursday, and in the process Brooks Orpik took out Derek Stepan on a knee-to-knee hit. A 5-minute major to Orpik wasn't nearly enough for John Tortorella, who had this to say after the game:

"It's a cheap, dirty hit.  I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there.  It's one of the most arrogant organizations in the league.  They whine about this stuff all the time, and look what happens.  They'll whine about something else over there, won't they, starting with their two (expletive) stars."

[UPDATED: Here's the video.]




Ooookay.  Anyone detect a trend this week?

Waaah.


Waaah waaah.


Waaah Waaah Waaah.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
This is what people do when they're jealous.  Or terrified.  Or both.

Pens and Flyers for the foreseeable future.  Strap yourselves in.  GTOG.

6 comments:

  1. Amazingly funny stuff. Too bad the Pens don't play the Devils on Sat - they could make it an Atlantic trifecta.

    Someone should remind Torts how much the Pens "whined" about the equally accidental knee-on-knee Mike Rupp put on J. Staal. Funny, funny stuff.

    Ordinarily, I would say the the talk of the Rangers or Flyers being "scared" was fan-driven bs. But given the events of the last week, it sure seems like the Pens are in the head of pretty much every team in the Eastern Conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to question these apparent massive, hypothetical suspensions players WOULD GET, if they injured one of our "whining stars."

    When's the last time someone actually was suspended for a hit on Crosby or Malkin? Guys who have missed really significant time due to injury? (No, honest question, am I just blanking on an obvious one?) Where this special treatment that we should apparently be getting? I demand restitution! Give us what we're due! Maybe Steckel and Hedman should be suspended for the start of next season!

    (Please note my sarcasm, as I remember some Flyers fan didn't get it in my comment earlier this week.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all sincerity, M. Pacioretty got suspended for the Letang hit. And of course, there was much non-whining whining on the Canadiens end, although the suspension was pretty fair.

      Matt Cooke took two ridiculous head shots early this year that should have warranted suspensions (one by John Carlson, and one by a Flame I can't remember). But he's Matt Cooke, and the NHL judges such things exclusively by reputation.

      The Hedman hit is still the one that makes me simmer. He got his forearm up around Sid's neck and bounced it off the glass - hard. No excuse for a high hit there. I don't believe Steckel could or should have been suspended (although I still think he meant to run Sid from behind, just get him in the shoulder and knock him down).

      Seems within the realm of normal incompetence on the part of the league.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, I knew for sure that the only suspension for an opposing team this season was Pacioretty. (I think that Flames hit was Sarich! I just remember the endless replays.)

    On the flip side, I believe Letang and Engelland are the two Penguins who have been suspended. Couple fines as well.

    So you're right, all that seems about average.

    But I meant that I can't even think of a suspension for a hit on Crosby/Malkin going back probably three seasons... Again, could be missing an obvious one, and before that all bets are off, because I find my memory for sports minutiae is even more unreliable beyond a few years. So sad. At least I can remember birthdays. ha.

    I could just look it up, but I meant to go to bed half an hour ago so... GOOD NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did this not show up as a direct reply? I fail.

      Delete
  4. I've seen it.really wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete