There really isn't much going on right now that moves our meter so here are a few links and notes.
- Ladies, in case you were wondering, Mr. Boomer the Dog is single.
- Some NHL agents are upset and surprised that the NHL prevailed in its arbitration against the Kovalchuk contract and the next big issue is whether the NHL can and will go after existing contracts that were already approved by the league. Pensblog asks what it all means. Here's hoping that the league does not go after the Pronger deal because he will count $5 million against their salary cap for the next 7 years, regardless of when he retires. In the 7th year of his deal, Pronger will be the first player in NHL history to actually sit down on the ice during a shift to rest.
- The NFL is once again taking over the sports airwaves and I'm frankly getting a little tired of hearing about how great the Jets are going to be. They finished 9-7 last year and only made the playoffs because their final two opponents rested their starters (remember the Colts blowing the perfect season?). But for those who feel like the Jets to the Super Bowl story lines may be a little premature, it's only going to get worse. The Darrelle Revis holdout becomes a bigger story by the day and the Jets are the focus of this season's Hard Knocks series on HBO. I'm not saying the Jets won't be good -- I think they will make the playoffs -- but let's all just settle down for a few minutes.
- Ben Roethlisberger is doing yoga with his mom. No word yet on whether she agreed.
- Joe Paterno has been nominated for the national Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the country. In GTOG's mind, this is well-deserved. A great human being. Also, Paterno should be allowed to go out on his own terms - anyone who is thinking its time to hang it up should try to put him/herself in Paterno's shoes...what else is he going to do? Sit and home and wait to die? Of course he has lost a step (or a dozen) and isn't truly running every aspect of the program like he used to, but so what? The team is still winning games, and even though it probably isn't a true contender for the BCS Title Game, it always has a shot at getting to a BCS game. He has surrounded himself with capable people (huge fan of Tom Bradley) and there really isn't any guarantee that making changes would lead to better results. He isn't embarrassing himself and instead of people thinking that his age is a detriment, maybe it just means he knows a thing or two that you don't. Coach 'em up Joe.
- Some members of GTOG went to see Step Up 3D this past weekend and, for the most part, our preview was right on point. It was really remarkable though to watch people who are so good at one thing (dancing) while simultaneously so bad at another thing (acting). I'll go see it again if someone comes up with rules for a "finding the plot holes" drinking game.
- Snooki is too pretty for jail.